- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp madras curry paste
- 1 kg (peeled weight) raw beetroot, peeled, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 green chilli, halved lengthways
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 4 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt, plus extra to serve
- basmati rice, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1 Heat the oil in a large lidded pan, stir in the onions and cook for 8 mins until soft. Tip in the mustard seeds and cook for 1 min until toasted. Stir through the curry paste and sizzle for 3 mins.
- STEP 2 Mix the beetroot through the spicy onions, then add the chilli, tomatoes and 2 cans of water. Cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook until the sauce is thick.
- STEP 3 Take off the heat, then stir through the almonds, yogurt and some seasoning. Top with yogurt and serve with basmati rice, if you like.