- Jersey Royals or new potatoes 800g, halved or quartered
- garlic 4 cloves, chopped
- ginger a thumb-sized piece, chopped
- plum tomatoes 4, chopped
- vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- cumin seeds 1½ tsp
- black mustard seeds 1½ tsp
- ground turmeric 1 tsp
- red chilli 1, deseeded (if you like) and thinly sliced
- garam masala 1 tsp
- coriander a small bunch, roughly chopped
- lime 1, wedged to serve
- STEP 1 Cook the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water until tender to the point of a knife, then drain well.
- STEP 2 Tip the garlic and ginger into a blender with 4 tbsp of water then whizz until smooth. Add the tomatoes and whizz again briefly.
- STEP 3 Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the cooked potatoes for 10-15 minutes, tossing now and again, until really crispy.
- STEP 4 Turn down the heat and add the cumin and black mustard seeds, and the ground turmeric, and fry for a minute. Tip in the garlic, ginger and tomato purée with three quarters of the red chilli, and cook gently for 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in the garam masala and season well.
- STEP 5 Tip into a serving dish and top with the coriander leaves, remaining red chilli and lime wedges for squeezing over.