BY RUCHIRA GHOSH
- Crabs, ( 500 gm) cut into pieces
- 2 Potatoes, cut into halves
- Onion paste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- Salt , as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 2 Green chilies
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- Clean the crabs with warm water and marinade with salt, turmeric, and red chili powder for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and fry the crab pieces on a medium flame covering with a lid. Once they get s crisp and nicely cooked, take them out and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some more oil, heat it on medium flame. Add the potatoes with salt, turmeric and cook till the potatoes become a little soft. Once they are done, take out and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add cinnamon stick, clove, and cardamom into the oil. Once they start sizzling, add onion paste and keep on stirring until it is cooked properly.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and let it cook for a minute or two. Next, add all the dry spices including turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Next add tomato puree, green chilies and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. At this stage, add 1/4 cup of water to avoid burning of the spices.
- Finally, add fried potatoes and crab pieces and mix all the ingredients well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and allow it to boil at medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve